Thursday, September 30, 2010

Weekly Weigh-In

Nope, I'm not seeing stars today.  That's okay, because that would have required a five-pound loss this week.  It wasn't great - a loss of 0.8 lb, for a total of 15.8 pounds lost.  I did some experimenting with my Points this week.  The last few weeks, I was eating under my daily allowance of Points (bad girl!), and having zero weekly points and zero activity points.  Then this week I decided to try having all of my daily points (duh), and I had zero activity points, and a total of less than 10 weekly points (for the party at the Chocolate Lounge).  I'm going to try it this week too, and just see what happens.  If I gain or don't have a better loss, I might need to adjust it again.  We'll see.

There was some excitement and inspiration at my Weight Watchers meeting today.  First off, our sweet leader Debby just received a Diamond Leader award.  There are tons of criteria to meet in order to get this award, and it's a big deal.  Yay!  Then one member reached her goal with a loss of 45 pounds, and another woman reached Lifetime status with a loss of about 30 pounds.  It kind of pumped me up and made me imagine myself up there at goal/lifetime, with everyone clapping to my success.

The meeting topic was about going to the grocery store (or supermarket, as some of you probably say).  Perspiration vs. Inspiration - What stresses you about shopping for food and what makes you feel excited about shopping for food?

The usual stresses were things like kids/spouse, temptations, cost, and time.

The inspiration was a discussion on how to overcome those issues.  There were tips on shopping for groceries too:

- Shop the perimeter of the store.  This is where the fresh items are kept, like milk and yogurt, meat and seafood, fresh vegetables and fruits, etc.  Fewer of the processed foods are located in this area around along the walls.
- Don't shop hungry or thirsty.  This is one we've all probably heard before.  If it's not possible to eat before heading to the store, chew a piece of gum while there to help avoid food cravings that might lead to purchases (and binges) you'll regret later.
- Make a list, take it with you, and stick to it.  This will help you get through the store faster and will also prevent impulse buys.  Remember to take the list with you!
- Plan menus in advance so you will know what to buy.  Then put the ingredients on the list.
- Shop alone if possible.  This way anyone with you won't be able to toss unhealthy items in the cart or whine mercilessly until you give in on the junk food.
- Arrange your shopping list by category.  Our leader gave us a web address for a site where you can do this (www.grocerylistmaker.com).  You click items from your list, which are arranged by areas of the store where each item should be located.  This will save time so you don't have to double back for an item buried in the bottom of the list that you missed while you were on the other side of the store.

Happy shopping!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'll definitely have to look into it. Although, surprisingly enough, my husband is a big help at resisting temptation sometimes. We make each other resist things we know we can't afford whether it be financially or for our bodies. Lol.

    Thanks for the tips, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did WW over a decade ago and found it quite useful for some eating and shopping tips. I know the point system has changed since I did it, but I did find that occasionally switching things up helped. For me, though, the biggest factor was EXERCISE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great shopping tips!

    You will get to goal and we're here to cheer you along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. .8 pounds is a good loss! Congrats! How did you do on the goals you set for the Hot 100? Man, I remember how inspirational it was at the WW meetings when someone made their goal. I also imagined what it would be like but the closest I ever got before having to quit (due to finances) was making my 10% goal. I miss them and am sneakily planning to join again when I have only 10 pounds to lose so I can become a lifetime member and attend the meetings without forking over a lot of dough! I think we went over this subject in one of our meetings, b/c I already learned all of them so it must have been there. Def not shopping hungry helps so much! ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete