Monday, September 20, 2010

This is New!

I hit the gym both Saturday and Sunday for some fun on the elliptical machines.  I managed to go 35 minutes both days (30 minutes, plus 5 minutes of cool-down).  It was hard, but I really am glad I went.  My foot didn't bother me at all, which was an added bonus.

I took my iPod and was really getting into the music.  I found myself applying weight loss ideas to all my songs, even songs that are most certainly not about weight loss.  For example, one song was Colin Hay's "Waiting For My Real Life to Begin," and there's a line that goes, "Just be here now. Forget about the past. The mask is wearing thin."  I started thinking about how often I've doubted myself because of my setbacks in the past.  How often I want to push past now to get to the future.  But I need to just be here now.  I found strength in just being in the moment and focusing on the process.  Also I started thinking about how often I felt like I was just waiting for my "real life" to begin, the whole time overlooking the fact that my real life is the one I'm living right now.

There were other songs, of course, that I managed to apply to weight loss, but really they were probably about sex or relationships or whatever..."I Melt With You" (Bad English) - "You've seen the difference, and it's getting better all the time."  "The future is open wide."  Oh, or what about "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba?  "I get knocked down, but I get up again."  See what I mean?  If you try, you can do that with just about any song.

So that was it, folks, my first foray back to the gym in a long time.  It wasn't bad.  Not bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment