Thursday, September 16, 2010

Weekly Weigh-In

Today I went back to my Weight Watchers group.  I hadn't been to a meeting since June, but I'm going to use my weight from then because I left off not far from where my weight is now.  It will just be easier for me to keep track of it that way.

So from last week, I lost another 3.8 pounds.  For my Weight Watchers log, I am down a total of 12.4 pounds from when I started in May at my all-time highest weight.  Today I got a 5-pound sticker and my first 5% star.


I'm feeling pretty good about that!  

Today's meeting topic was about appreciating the smaller losses.  If you lose less than a pound, there's the temptation to say, "I ONLY lost 0.4 pounds," (or 0.2 or 0.8, whatever).  

But really, think about this:  

If you lose 0.2 lbs. every week for a year, that equals 10.4 lbs. in a year;
If you lose 0.4 lbs. every week for a year, you've lost 20.8 lbs. in a year; 
If you lose 0.6 lbs. every week for a year, you've lost 31.2 lbs. in a year;
If you lose 0.9 lbs. every week for a year, you've lost 41.6 lbs. in a year;
If you lose 1.0 lb. every week, you have lost a whopping 52 pounds in a year!

A loss is a loss!  They add up.  On the flip side, I should remind myself that those add up in the gaining column as well.  Sometimes I gain a pound or two, and I think, "Oh, no big deal.  Just two pounds."  But then I do it repeatedly, and what do ya' know, I've got a weight problem.  

I'm aware of the problem, and I can and will manage it.  I really feel excited about this commitment to lose weight this time.  I don't always enjoy it, like when I'm craving something I know will trigger a binge, for example, but I am excited about the possibility and the power that are within me.

I'm also excited about the discovery of using a blog as a weight-loss tool.  I am amazed by the support I've already been getting from the blogging community, and most notably a couple of veteran bloggers who are successfully losing and maintaining weight losses of their own.  I am so grateful for that!  And for anyone reading this who would like to comment on my posts, I welcome and encourage that.  

Another little bonus at today's meeting is that I had a friend join me.  It's nice to have someone you can trust and just talk about some of your struggles.  Here's a snippet of our conversation in the parking lot after the meeting:
Me: "You know, if you've never had a weight problem, you might say things like, 'I could have eaten that whole box of cookies.'  But you don't really mean it."
Her: "Yeah, like they just mean it would be tempting to eat the whole box."
Me: "But I'll bet a lot of them haven't actually tested the theory like I have, and PROVEN that I can do it."
Her: "Right on, sista!"

So here's to celebrating the small victories, whatever they might be, because they truly do add up!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your loss and the pretty 5% star!!!

    Re that box of cookie saying, I was talking with my trainer yesterday and we both remembered making and eating an entire batch of chocolate chip cookie dough - what is that supposed to make, something like 5 dozen cookies? Ate the entire batch, nothing left to bake. It felt good to have someone who had been there, done that - we DO understand each other! Glad you have a good friend for those meetings.

    ReplyDelete