Friday, September 24, 2010

Viernes

(That's Spanish for Friday.)

Some friends called this evening and asked our family to meet them at Mamacita's, which is a fun Mexican food restaurant here in town.  I immediately had images of enchiladas and refried beans dancing through my thoughts.  But instead of ordering that, I ordered this:

It's a chicken fajita salad - lettuce, cabbage, tomato, onion, a little avocado, and grilled chicken.  That little crispy fried tortilla cup is filled with tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro.  I dumped the whole thing on top of the salad and tossed the cup aside.  I ordered light Italian dressing but didn't use it.  Instead, I poured spicy salsa all over it.  It was so yummy (though I realize from my low-quality phone picture here, it doesn't look all that wonderful) and so opposite of what I normally order there.  I was really guessing on the calories/Points.  I wonder how many Points others would give it.  I guessed 9, but I honestly have no idea.  

And instead of a margarita or pina colada or Corona, I drank this:

That's iced tea sweetened with Splenda.  It's not quite the sugary delight we call Sweet Tea here in Texas, but it was quite refreshing anyway.

And though I know I am "allowed" to have chips and salsa (or the green concoction based on avocado and sour cream Mamacita's includes with chips and salsa), I decided not to have it this time.  I am just starting out trying to develop good habits, and I knew I wasn't ready yet.  I would have made it one crazy food fiesta and gone overboard with that.

It was nice to go out to dinner to enjoy the company and the conversation -- what little I could enjoy over the wild antics of my crazy kids, that is.  Next time, I vote we call a babysitter!

Adios!

3 comments:

  1. I love the name of your blog! Very cute and clever!

    You made some great choices and that fajita salad looks really good.

    I'm excited about the challenge! We're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm Yum YUM. LOVE Mexican food. I'm doing my crazy tacos that I posted last week, works out pretty well. And we have a fajita night where we don't use tortillas. Work for now, but soon I will be seeking out new Mexi recipes-ah I miss chips and tortillas!! I've even been trying my hand at making salsas at home. It's getting there I think...

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is one that I find absolutely genuine and 100% inspiring. You take on what matters, say it like it is, and keep going! We need more people like you supporting our joint journey in healthy living and sharing it all in the blogosphere.

    That being said, I'm giving you the "A Blog with Substance" Award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up with specific instructions.

    God bless you on your path. I'll be keeping tabs on you, but please don't hesitate to call on me for support! We are all in this together.

    Many blessings,
    Becky from http://MyWalkFromFlabtoFab.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete