Saturday, September 4, 2010

Full Disclosure

This was a first.

I was telling my husband about my plan to use a blog as a weight loss tool.  As usual when I'm starting a new diet (how many times have I done that?), he asks me how much I weigh.  I never tell him.  Never.

I asked him to guess and told him I'd tell him if he guessed exactly right.  Well, he was off by one pound.  One!  So I told him.  I mean, the man has eyes and has already pretty much figured it out anyway, right?    On a much smaller scale he has a little weight issue himself, so I figure he gets it.

But, damn, it was still hard to admit.

I have gained approximately 75-85 pounds since our wedding, depending upon which recent weigh-in I go by.

Back then, when I was a size 6, I still didn't tell him how much I weighed.  Why do so many of us do that?  What's with all the shame over a number?

In some ways I feel better having told him.  I've acknowledged the fact and taken some of the secrecy and shame out of it.  Some.  Not all.

But I'm working on it.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty amazing that he was so close in his guess! I never told my husband how much I weighed until I had lost 100 pounds - then I admitted my starting weight to him. He just about fell over - had NO idea. But yeah, I am very familiar with the shame you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete