Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Growling Gut

I didn't mean to skip lunch today, but it just kind of happened.  I don't like to miss a meal, and I don't recommend it when trying to lose weight.  But there I was without lunch today, the result of poor (or lack of) planning on my part.  I had a light breakfast, then got super busy and went too long without food.

Around 3:00 I was REALLY hungry.  But the good thing about my little mishap today was a reminder of physical hunger versus mental/emotional hunger.  My stomach was rumbling and I felt an actual emptiness that signaled hunger.  I also realized how long it's been since I've felt that.  It really made me think about all the times I've said, "I'm starving," without really thinking about it and then eating when I certainly wasn't physically starving but rather just wanted to eat because I was bored or stressed or because it was simply time to eat.

This was also a good opportunity for me to think about how I could prevent this from happening to me again in the future.  If nothing else, I can tuck a protein bar or a bag of almonds in my purse for emergency use.  Now if only I can remember that "emergency use" does not mean "it's there = eat it now," I'll be just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment