Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

So yesterday was yet another day off program, despite my promise that it wouldn't be.  But today I'm back on track!

This is scary though.  Thursday - Monday off the wagon = a gain of 5.2 pounds!  Are you kidding me?!?  I deserve a gain, for sure, but I can't imagine what I ate to equal more than an extra 3500 calories a day!  That's the math, right?

All day today I've done great -- healthy food choices, smaller portions, low sodium, took my vitamins, flushing out with rivers of water.  There will be exercise today as well.  For a change.  I also wrote down everything I put in my mouth, and I've tried to think about better ways to deal with stress.

I've had a setback, no doubt.  I am disappointed that I am going to have to re-lose those pounds, but I'm confident I can do it.  My hope is to learn from this and remember this the next time I'm feeling on the edge of losing control.  I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  It's not productive.

On another note, something kind of cool happened at a kiddie party I took my three-year-old son to a week and a half ago.  While we were there, he had this big slice of cake, and I didn't get any.  He ate a little of it, and then he brought the plate to me when he was done.  At the time, I was speaking to a friend and just mindlessly took the plate.  I wasn't nibbling on it (only because I was chatting), but I could smell it (yum), and it looked amazing - chocolate cake with dark, fudgy frosting.

My friend Nicki was at the party with her little guy too.  She has hit Lifetime status before at Weight Watchers, so she knows what I'm dealing with.  Anyway, she saw what happened, and went up to my little dude.  I heard her whisper to him, "Are you finished eating your cake?"  He nodded yes.  Then she swooped in, grabbed the cake from me, and said, "Intervention!" and tossed the plate into the trash!  Isn't that cool?

Clearly, this happened several days BEFORE the big backslide, but I thought it was great.  Where was she the last five days?  Guess I should have invited her over for a slumber party to save me from myself.

I'm back on track now, and it was surprisingly easy to do once I made up my mind for real.  All I had to do was do it.  And also that was the hard part.  So here I am, back on track, and feeling much better today than I have in several days, physically and emotionally.

Oh, yeah, and I'm still gonna knock that 25 pounds on its butt.  Not on Thursday, I guess, but it's just around the corner, so watch out!

3 comments:

  1. Take comfort--that gain is mostly water and the bulk will come off fast once you flush it out! We all get derailed at some point, but it is good that you've moved past it and are back on track now. I can't wait for you to reach your first 25 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU have been inspiring ME, sister!! And where was I the last few days? Backsliding as well. I baked - GASP - brownies. For.no.reason.at.all. Yep, stress and despair are a lethal combo for me. Let's call eachother next time and vow to deal with our emotions in a healthier way. :)
    On a positive note, I have researched "diet cocktails" and have a plan to stay as much on Plan as possible while in Vegas. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, what a wake up call on the scale!!! Hopefully most of it is sodium/water and will flush out quickly now that you are back to your regular eating. But yeah, ouch.

    So nice that you have someone in your life who gets it about things like unfinished cake. Now that is a true friend! :)

    ReplyDelete